Monday, February 16, 2009

Horses in Art Magazine


Good news ! I was thrilled to find out this weekend that I have been awarded an honorable mention for my painting "Beech Grove Blessing" in the 2009 Horses in Art magazine's cover contest. Knowing the volume of entries that they receive, I'm happy and honored with this recognition. They'll be following up with an editorial in a future edition.

This painting was done from a combination of my references shot while attending the BGH's opening hunt. The jt MFH is Elese Alsup who is pictured here on her beautiful bay thoroughbred "JB". They make quite a team for sure. The blessing of the hounds, horses and riders is a tradition of the opening day of the hunt season.

I have become fascinated with the entire fox hunting tradition and love painting the subject. My younger days were filled with riding in junior hunter shows and training for eventing, etc. but I never had the opportunity to ride with a hunt. I'm not entirely sure I would have had the nerve required anyway.....but that's beside the point! Experiencing all the tradition, excitement and atmosphere of the hunt is exhilarating even if it is from the outside looking in. I really appreciate Beech Grove Hunt's willingness to allow me to visit and learn from everyone. They are patient with my endless questions and reference shots. A few years ago, the Masters of the Foxhounds Assoc. had its centennial traveling art show and I was proud to be one of the artists included. To encourage artists to consider the subject, the MFHA urged it's members to open up opportunities for artists to experience the hunt and the members of BGH were willing to do just that very thing! I look forward to many fox hunt-themed paintings to come.

2 comments:

Linda Shantz said...

Congratulations, Joan! It's a lovely painting.

JPJ said...

Thank you Linda....for your encouragement....I appreciate it!